Thursday, March 11, 2010

Winter scarves: dyed wool and printed silk and silk batik



So the cooler days of autumn are here in Sydney. It'll never be as cold here as a European winter but there will still be days where a scarf will be useful.

I've been experimenting with wool mix fabrics I've found in charity stores and recycling centres, mixing them with previously dyed/printed fabric and batik silk fabric from Indonesia. If I dip dye the fabric you get a graduated effect which works nicely with textured wool.

Here are two:
The silver screen print was taken from an old natural history print of coral and I printed this in a friend's workshop in London circa 1997. I like to think I'm channelling a bit of Timney Fowler.

These are for sale - they will go to Bundeena markets or you can contact me to buy.

No comments: